Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Life just got a whole lot more complicated...and I'm loving it!

In lieu of posting the fabulous, southern style ham and greens recipe that I had in the works, which I look forward to sharing with you at a later time, I'd like to take this opportunity to make a little blog announcement: 

We're having a(nother) baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Our little family is growing eeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D   

In case you have any doubts:



















Totally didn't need the stick, though. I knew what was up when I burst into tears one early morning while watching an episode of "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air". ...Still, there's something about that faint little pink line that brings one of the greatest, most amazing, most indescribable feelings in the world!

The stats: I'm almost 5 weeks along, and according to this, I'm due December 2 -- hey! the month my man was born holla!!

Is this too early to be spreading the news? Probably. They say to wait three months before telling people you're expecting, because the risk of miscarriage decreases significantly after the first trimester. Eh. The way I see it, I'd rather have the support of family and friends from the beginning than have to keep two secrets, a pregnancy and a loss, should such a tragic event occur. 

...Plus, I'm just so darn excited.

Can I show you the stick again?



















It's still sitting on the counter. I can't stop looking at it. I can't stop smiling. I can't believe it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, considering the fact that I have a seven-month-old, I won't pretend you're not wondering the thing I know you're probably wondering, so I'll get right to answering it: Yes, this was planned.

I mean like, planned planned. We began to set aside money for a second crib, double stroller, nine month's supply of tacos (if this turns out to be anything like the last time), etc etc several months ago. We requested a 3-bedroom home at our next military post. I stopped ogling the new spring clothing lines in the department stores and got out my bag of maternity wear, giant bathing suit and all. The clincher? I bought an "ovulation predictor kit". (Which, admittedly, turned out to be the most enigmatic product I have ever peed on, and it really did little to help me predict ovulation. ...Wanna know the real secret to making a baby? Just pretend you're ovulating every day of the week ;) ...Woah, did I just say that?)

The hubs and and I have always talked about having children "close together", but I'll never forget the day, several months after our first baby was born, that I had this unshakable feeling, for various reasons I won't bore you with, that it was definitely time for baby #2. The trick, I thought, would be in convincing him it was time. We were out running errands, driving down the road, and at a red light I turned to my husband and nervously said, "Honey, I need to talk to you about babies." I had a whole speech planned. If necessary, I was prepared to use PowerPoint and spreadsheets. But before I could get another word in, he said, "Yea I need to talk to you too. I want another one." I actually burst into tears at that moment. Ummmm. Yea. We're soul mates.

Believe it or not, however, there are some cynics out there who will stop me in the middle of Wal Mart, take one look at my growing belly, take another look at my seven month old, and tell me I'm crazy. As someone who unfortunately (and I suppose a little vainly) wastes half my time worrying about what other people think of me, this really bothers me, and I feel the need to defend myself and my family: Where did this popular notion come from that having children 3.5 years apart is what's right for every family, and that having babies close together isn't good sense? (And are these kinds of choices really even anyone's business?) My husband and I are intelligent, hard working people, and we're doing what works best for us. Even if we hadn't planned on having "two under two", we'd make it work, and love it. We're a military family, don't forget. We know how to go with the flow and enjoy life's twists and turns. We're used to chaos, unpredictability, and challenges. Seriously, life is already crazy, and most of the time, crazy works for us. We're not under any illusion that it's going to be easy -- just easier, for us and our life circumstances, than "waiting". We know exactly what's ahead, and it's everything we've ever wanted. We couldn't be happier. Do you need to see my Powerpoint? Vent over, thanks.

Can I show you the stick again?



















Look at those two beautiful lines! Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!! We're having a baby!!!!!!

Well, gotta run. I'm off to buy a trimester's supply of Saltines.

...Two under two here we come!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Check back soon if you like ham.)


"Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord" Psalm 127:3 (NKJV)

5 comments:

Erin S said...

so excited for you! children are such a blessing, and my little brother and i are close in age, and it worked for us! we'll be praying for that little baby inside of you!

Jenn said...

Congrats you two!

Anonymous said...

Sarah and Chris,

I think your news is wonderful!!! Don't worry about what anyone says about anything....your life is your life and what is good for you is your choice!!!! Always remember...children are a hand full and a heart full"!!!! LoveYa, Laurie

Sarah Beth said...

Thanks so much ladies!!!

Cindy said...

Having kids that clase is bad for your body. They used to recommend two years apart so that iron stores in the mother's body get replenished. Now they recommend 3-5 years to prevent prematurity (of the baby).

© 2009-2011 Sarah E. Bennett http://whereeverafter.blogspot.com