Thursday, April 28, 2011

Thoroughly Un-Modern Me

I've always been kind of an old-fashioned girl.

Take it from my husband. He likes to call me names like "Maude" and makes fun of me for knowing every episode of I Love Lucy and Gilligan's Island.   

His playful pokes are probably brought about by things like the fact that I:
  • Knit.
  • Refuse to use the microwave.
  • Say old-person things like "oh golly" and "did you think I just fell off the turnip truck?"
  • Cloth diaper the kids.
  • Use vinegar for more than cooking.
  • Tend to forgo over-the-counter medicine for more old-fashioned remedies. (Home-made chicken soup and salt-water gargles work wonders, people!) 
  • Quote movies that were made before the hubs and I were born.
  • Etc etc..   
Well anyway, get this:

As if knitting wasn't enough, I'd say there's one little event that happened around here recently that has officially propelled us back to the Stone-age. (So much for salvaging my old-person reputation.)

...We got rid of the cable!

GASP! YIKES! EXPLETIVES!

I know, right?! That's crazy! How are we ever going to know if a tornado is on top of our house, or who wins Celebrity Apprentice, or if vampire-pirate-zombie-clones are attacking the country?!?!

Calm down.

It's called the internet. We didn't get rid of the internet. We're not that crazy. We just got rid of the cable.

The decision was really easy. It went something like this: "97-dollars-a-month-for-something-we-don't-ever-watch-anymore-because-we-have two kids??! ...Get rid of it!" And that was that.

You know me and saving money.

Hubs was totally on board too, don't worry. In fact, it was originally his idea. Although I think he secretly cries himself to sleep at night worrying about what's going to happen when football season comes around. But they don't show Philly sports around these parts anyway.

Also we did it on sort of a trial basis. If we don't like it we might get it back.

Also if we win the lottery we will probably get it back. 

But it's been a few months, and now that the initial shock is over (read: no Food Network for me = pain) we are actually really happy with our decision. It's one of those "you really don't know until you do it" things.

Now that we're parents and all -- which, in regard to TV-watching means that we're too busy for it and we're more aware of the garbage that's out there influencing kids these days -- we're finding that we really can live without TV, and it might not be such a bad thing. I mean, I don't want to get all preachy on you, but now that we're doing stuff in the evening after the kids go to bed besides watching TV...like reading (gasp!) or talking or spending *ahem* "time" together, we are actually finding that not having cable has been a positive thing for our family. At the risk of sounding completely corny I would even go as far as to say it has sort of set us free. You know, free from being glued to the news all the time and free from being drawn to watch some of the crap that's out there filling our minds and free from looking like this every night:

 
 
Also we have a pretty rockin' Blue-Ray DVD player on which we can watch all the movies we want and even DVDs of our favorite TV shows. So, it's kind of like we're in total control of what we watch. Which is nice for control freaks like us.

Also when we really feel like watching a specific TV show, we just watch it on our computer. They put the full episodes of most shows up online the day after they air, you know. So we're not completely out of the television loop -- we are totally aware of the fact that The Voice is the new American Idol, and we can't resist Will Ferrel on The Office.

Also the other day the internet wasn't working, and I needed to know some stuff that normally I would have just Googled, but I couldn't. So guess what I did?

I went to the library!

I had totally forgotten about that thing!

I haven't been to the library since my research-paper days, and I haven't been to the library for fun since I was a kid.

I have to say I was giddy. Is it just me or do libraries smell good? It was so satisfying to walk out of the building with a stack of books teetering in my arms that were all mine to read for free for a few weeks! Teehee.

So, in conclusion, I am kind of old-fashioned and probably a bit of a dork and we don't have cable anymore but it's ok we're still cool and we are totally loving it. ;)
 
The end. 
 
 
"For he who sows to his flesh will of the flesh reap corruption, but he who sows to the Spirit will of the Spirit reap everlasting life." Galatians 6:8 

















No comments:

© 2009-2011 Sarah E. Bennett http://whereeverafter.blogspot.com